The government’s Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) is a mandatory energy assessment for larger organisations in the UK that meet certain qualification criteria. In essence, the scheme ensures that organisations conduct energy audits across key buildings and operations every four years to identify ways to become more energy efficient.
Who needs to comply with ESOS?
ESOS is mandatory for all UK organisations that meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Employ 250 people or more
- An annual turnover of more than £44 million and an annual balance sheet total of more than £38 million
- An overseas company with a UK-registered establishment that has 250 or more UK employees (paying income tax in the UK)
If your organisation is part of a group where any of the companies meet the above criteria, all organisations in the group must comply with ESOS.
ESOS Phase 3 – What you Need to Know?
The Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) is a mandatory programme of regular energy audits for large UK organisations that meet the above criteria.
The scheme is currently in Phase 3 with the following mandatory deadlines:
- Qualification date – 31 December 2022
- Reference Periods – 12 month reference period which must include 31st December 2022
- Compliance deadline – 5 December 2023
We strongly recommend that the assessment stage is started in good time and site audits scheduled before June this year.
Schedule Site Audits & Start Assessment - 1st June 2023
How can our ESOS experts help your organisation comply?
Our team of ESOS experts can help you with every stage of the process to ensure you meet all mandatory requirements and deadlines.
Our experienced teams and accredited Lead Assessors will:
- Ascertain whether you qualify
- Collation of energy Consumption Data over 12-month reference period
- Calculate ESOS metrics, including energy and carbon intensities
- Conduct site energy audits (One day included in standard cost)
- Manage formal director-level review and sign-off of the energy audit’s recommendations
- Provide an ESOS evidence pack
- Guidance on official Notification and submission to the Environment Agency by Phase 3 deadline on 5th December
Updated guidance around ESOS Phase 3 compliance now includes reference to Carbon Reduction Planning, in addition to Energy Saving Schemes. Our team of CIBSE Accredited Low Carbon Assessors are fully up-to-date and knowledgeable on the changes to Phase 3 and can help your business make the most of the ESOS scheme. As experienced Low Carbon Consultants, we would seek to deliver a complete Energy & Carbon solution for your business, which is more than simply a compliance exercise.